After trying rust dyeing several years ago, I thought I’d give it another try. Here is my post from 2015.
I decided to try rust dyeing with both that chain I used years ago, but also some rusty fencing. Here is the fabric around the fencing. I soak the fabric in a 50/50 water vinegar solution.
And the chain.
I covered them with plastic bags to keep the fabric damp.
Over the course of four days – yes, I said four days – I checked on the fabric and added the vinegar/water solution with a spray bottle. For the chain, I moved it around on the fabric over those days. So after the four days this is how the chain fabric looked.
The fabric was then put into salt water solution (1/4 cup of salt to three to four gallons of water) to neutralize it.
Then I rinsed it, and then let it sit in soapy water before washing.
You won’t see a picture of the fabric around the fencing. There wasn’t much rust on it. But the chain was a different story. Here is the result. My design wall isn’t long enough for this piece!
This was another experiment where I learn. First of all, you really need to make sure the rusty item has good contact with the fabric. Keeping it damp and also leaving it to rust several days is important for success. But for me it comes down to the fact that I really don’t care for the fabric, even this piece which I consider a success. Again, marking off something I don’t want to do again, and that’s a good thing!
I want to make another flag, but decided to try a different fabric. I found some poly ripstop which is a little heavier than nylon. I’ll be playing with it to see how it sews. I love the package it came in.
And here are all the colors! Yummy!
I’d love any tips if you’ve sewn ripstop. I sure hope it not too slippery! Have a great weekend.