The kind folks at Krylon sent me several cans of their new paint, Dual, which is paint and primer. No need to prime anymore. Yeah!
Since I’m trying to break out of my traditional mauves and teals, I thought true blue and mandarin would make a good pair for my two projects.
In my continuing quest to organize my craft room/woman cave, I have been saving cans to herd my massive supply of scissors and brushes that I need to keep out to work on when the inspiration hits me. Here is the finished project: a lazy susan organizer.
For this project, I needed the following supplies:
- six cans
- a lazy susan base (I bought a cheap plastic one for $2 at a flea market.)
- screws and nuts
- cover for work surface
So my first step, after covering my work surface outside with paper, was to paint the cans. (The cans have been washed, labels and any glue removed earlier.) But before I could paint I needed to shake the can for two minutes.
After shaking, and taking the lid off, I had the option of different ways to spray. Pretty neat!! The EZ Touch 360 degree Dial adjusts to spray horizontal, vertical or at any angle giving me control of the paint spray.
I used a paint stick to hold the cans as I painted. Unfortunately, I don’t have a third hand to take the picture. When spraying be sure and hold the can 6 – 8 inches from the project.
I decided I didn’t really want blue or orange cans, so I sprayed some of them blue and followed after they dried with orange and visa versa. I really liked the look of the two together.
Before painting the lazy susan base, I chose the cans I wanted to use and then set them on the base to get just the right location for them. Then I took a pencil and outlined each can so I’d know which can went where. My cans were different sizes.
Next I marked where I wanted to attach the can to the base – inch in from the center edge.
Next came the drilling. Hubby helped me with this part. He’s such a sweetie.
Then after measuring the cans and marking that hole, it’s time to drill the cans.
Before spraying the base, I marked the base with painters tape so I knew where the cans started so I’d have the same cans in the same place. I also lined the cans up so I knew which one went where.
This was kind of tricky getting the screw lined up with both holes. I put the screw in through the can first so the nut would be on the bottom of the base. It seemed easier to thread it that way instead of trying to tighten the nut inside the can. Also, I wanted to have the flat screw in the bottom of the can so it wouldn’t interfere with my stuff.
Here’s another look at the finished project. I had a couple extra cans left over, so I put them to good use. I have another lazy susan base so I may make another one since I just love this one!
My second project was painting an old shelf in the garage that holds work shoes. I thought giving it some color might jazz up the garage.
Here is how it looked to start out.
I gave the shelf a good washing, let it dry, sanded some of the chipped paint and it was ready. I moved it to a shady area and placed it on a piece of cardboard.
Then it was time to spray.
I liked how I could adjust the nozzle to spray the different surfaces. That made it easier to cover what I was spraying – less waste and less time to cover.
This was pretty, but I really liked the orange and blue together. So after the orange dried, I added blue. I then came back and sprayed a little orange over the blue to mute it a bit.
Here is the finished project.
Now to spruce up the rest of the garage!
This paint was easy to use and covered both projects easily. The finish turned out beautiful. I’ve spotted several other objects around the house that would look great with a new coat of paint.
Krylon sent me the new Dual Paint to try out. Check out their latest promotion, The Dual Duel, where Krylon is looking to find The Ultimate Restorer. To win this title, enter your spray paint restoration project and encourage friends and family to vote for your project as their favorite for their chance to win too.
Lynda, I love this!! What a clever woman you are! It’s a great idea. I might tend to glue the cans to the lazy susan just cause it seems like a lot of work to drill the screw holes!
Kathy, I’m not sure gluing would work because of the lip on the can bottom. That would definitely be easier and I did think of doing that but this seemed to me to be my best solution.
I might be thinking some fat glob of hot glue for those cans. Might work.
A fat glob might work!
These projects are wonderful. I love the idea of using the cans for the lazy susan. I’ve used babyfood jars and yours is a great idea. Love the shoe stand makeover also. Great color combo.
I would be honored if you came to see my krylon project here
I’m a big fan of lazy susans & this one is great! My mom & I both have a 2-tiered lazy susan. Mine is full of mediums and glues. Hers has misc. things on the kitchen table. So, I measured mine, cut 2 circles of clear contact paper & painted both with flowers so Mom can stick them to hers. Why be plain? Yours are colorful, too!
Kat, Thanks. This lazy susan came with a second tier but with the height of my supplies it would work to add it to the top. Great idea to paint contact paper and adhere. Bet they are pretty. Thanks for the idea and for dropping by. Lynda
Another thought- I use Aleene’s Tack It Over and Over a lot in the studio & around the house. I bet that would work to keep the cans in place on the susan.
Kat, I was concerned about the lip of the cans. But it is worth a try and much easier than drilling. Thanks for the tip!
I love spray paint! I’d love if you would join us over at Sew Woodsy and link up this project!
Great job! I love the colors! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! Please come back tomorrow and link up your most recent project!